Thursday, June 4, 2009

My First Day of School

Today, Nana and Pop had to go somewhere, so they had arranged to drop me off at school with Mommy at 9:30 am. Mommy is still working, but since the last day of the school year is on Monday, she doesn't have kids this week. So it was okay for me to come and hang out with her at school. First, we couldn't find her though (she had forgotten her cell phone at home, so we were walking aimlessly around campus, and I was asking, "Where's office?"). She found us, and I got to go to her classroom and read books. She has hundreds of books in her classroom. Then, I got to color on paper. She also has a lot of crayons!  I noticed a big blue ball on top of a cupboard and reached for it and said, "bounce, bounce", but she told me I couldn't bounce it.  It was for spinning.  She called it a globe.  I thought what a weird ball. 

Mom figured I needed more toys that I could play with.  At recess time, she took me to visit the kindergarten classrooms. The kids were so excited to see me, but I was kind of scared, so I just sat on Mommy's lap. The kids were arguing over who was going to build me a tower with Legos. Some kids asked if I talked. They were so big, that I wasn't really used to all of them. Finally, the kindergarten teacher asked some kids to leave and go run around outside so that they weren't crowding me.  We borrowed a puzzle to take back to Mommy's classroom.

Then, it was lunch time. I got to eat lunch in the cafeteria with all the kindergartners. They were all interested in me again. But I was more interested in climbing in and out of my seat. After lunch, Mommy's part-time teacher, Brenda, said she'd watch me so that Mommy could do work in the class. Brenda had taken me to visit the preschool special ed class earlier, and I had fun meeting those kids because they were more my size. But, this time, when Brenda asked, "Chase, do you want to go see the kindergartners again and play with Legos?" I said "Yes!" and climbed off Mommy's lap and went to Brenda.

For the next hour, I hung out with the kindergartners in Room A6. I got to play with Legos. I got to listen to the teacher talk. After about 20 minutes though, Brenda had to call Mommy to tell her that I was going #2. She came over to change my diaper. Then, I wanted back in the classroom. I said, "Knock, knock!". I just ran into the classroom, and Mommy went back to hers on the other side of campus. When Mommy came back to get me around 12:30 pm, she said she looked in at first and didn't see me. She asked Brenda, "Where's Chase?" Brenda pointed to the tables, and there I was, sitting nicely in a chair with a table of kindergartners. I was sharing Nixon's crayons and drawing on paper while the kids did their seatwork.

Mommy asked me, "Are you having fun?"
"Yes," I said.
"What are you doing?" Mommy asked.
"Coloring," I said very casually.
"Are you ready to go, Chase? It's time to go."
"No," I said. I didn't want to leave. I would get off the chair, then climb back on.

Just then, a kindergartner on the other end of the table said, "Mrs. Mau, I think he's used to us now."

Yup, I'm ready to go to school, Mommy! I didn't even take a nap until 12:30 pm, and all I wanted to do, (after swinging and playing on the jungle gym at Kaimuki Park), when we got home was read books. It was a fun day, and I even slept the whole night for 11 hours, without even stirring when the birds woke up. Of course Mommy forgot her camera today, but I'm sure there will be another opportunity when I can come to school. So, when can I come to school again, Mommy?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I know ALL about kindergarten being exhausting! I'm glad you had fun at your Mommy's school.

    ReplyDelete