Thursday, July 9, 2009

No Monkeys For Me

This afternoon, Mommy picked me up right after summer school ended so that we could meet Auntie Maila, Sacha (2 1/2), and Aine (1) for lunch.  I took my new Thomas the Train backpack with all my cars in it.  If we didn't go to the park, I was hoping that they'd want to go to the beach, but they didn't have time for either.  I know how it is running around when you're on vacation. There's limited time to see everyone you want to see.  They go back to Seattle on Saturday, so we've been trying to set up a time to get together, especially since the girls are around my age.  

We were late to Kaka'ako Kitchen though, and Mommy's plate lunch order was mixed up.  So by the time she got her lunch, the gals had to leave.  So, we're going to try and meet up for a play date tomorrow afternoon...our last chance (that is, until they move here to Hawai'i one day!).  

Mommy took me to the zoo this afternoon since we had the whole afternoon left.  We spent a good 2 hours there walking around.  Mommy was amazed that I remember where everything is!  I would point one way and tell her which animal was there.  I would ask to go see a certain animal and tell her which way to go.  Geez, Mom, haven't you been to the zoo many times before?!  I was too afraid to touch any animals in the petting zoo though.  When we went to play on the jungle gym, there were big teenagers running all over, so I was very clingy to Mommy.  




The highlights of my zoo excursion: 
* Seeing the tigers play and wrestle with each other
* Watching the monkeys swing from branch to branch
* Watching the giraffes, zebras, and rhinos

The one thing I did NOT like was when we went to see the orangutans.  The zoo was really empty, so we went right up to the glass.  Mom pointed out that the two orangutans were sleeping underneath their nets, about 50 feet away.   All of a sudden, the larger of the two orangutans came walking over and sat down right in front of me, with his face pressed to the glass!  He started bellowing out noises, "Ah-oo, ah-oo, ah-oo".  I had a death grip on Mommy's arm, and I started shuffling my feet backwards, going "Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!  That way!  That way!  That way!"

Mommy tried to reassure me that he was just talking to me, saying "Hello, Chase!".  Then, he went back to get the other orangutan, and they were both pressed up against the glass.  They both started saying these loud noises.  

At this point, I REALLY did NOT like it.  Mommy had to pick me up because I was starting to get nervous.  My whole body was shaking, and I was gripping her shirt so tight!  She kept saying it was okay.  I think she really wanted to get a video of it.  But, I was so scared.  I told her, "Go this way!  Go this way!"  Other people started coming to the exhibit trying to tell me how neat it was and how the orangutans were just talking to me.  

But, oh no!  You can't fool me!  I'm no dummy!  Those guys are huge!  So, I made it outta there quick!  As soon as we were out of the vicinity, I pointed towards another exhibit and said, "Elephants, Mommy, elephants."  Forget those "monkeys".  I was SO over it.

(And to think Mommy was all excited to get us into a private "behind-the-scenes" showing of the orangutans last night...Yeah right...I don't think so!)

I passed out on the drive home.  We ate dinner singing some new songs Mommy taught me this week.  She always shocks me when she sings that "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" song.  It makes me laugh so hard when she gets all loud!  I usually want her to sing "Five Little Monkeys".  But not tonight!  Oh no!  

During bathtime, I showed her that I know my days of the week.  I sometimes get the days mixed up, but that surprised Mommy for sure!  


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I would be afraid of those noisy apes too! I'm glad you enjoyed the visit with your Seattle cousins.They are going home to some very lovely weather and Hi Yu days in West Seattle.

    ReplyDelete