Saturday, July 4, 2009

ALS TDI Fundraising BBQ






Mommy came back from morning yoga today and said it kicked her butt because the teacher doesn't open doors.  As soon as Mommy came home, she packed the truck up so Daddy could go and help set up for the BBQ at Keehi Lagoon Beach Park.  Mommy baked brownies and we got down there around noon.  

The Mayor declared today "ALS Awareness Day".  It was Lou Gherig's 70th anniversary of his retirement from baseball after being diagnosed with ALS.  Our local ALS Support Group spent this past month getting donations of food, prizes, and entertainment in order to put on today's event.  It was very hot, but there was very windy out there.  We tried to hold onto the canopies as much as we could.  Mommy helped lead some games, like tug-of-war and water balloon toss.  The prizes worked as great incentives for people to play, and everyone loved the water bottles from the yoga studio and the Menchie's frozen yogurt gift cards.  

The BBQ was a success for all (as we raised over $3000 in donations today...all to go towards ALS research!).  We ate lots of hamburgers and hot dogs, and although I didn't get to play softball, I brought my own bat and liked checking out the real baseball equipment.  Everyone laughed at what a ham I am.  When Mommy tells me she wants to take a picture of me, I say "Cheese!" and I grasp my hands and put them under my chin, tilt my head, and give my leg a little kick.  Mommy and Daddy are always amazed by the things I pick up these days.  Mommy won a pair of slippers and bought a plant (which she hopes she doesn't kill) and some pickled mango (which I thought was way too sour!) to take home.  The Channel 2 news station came by to interview Vi's family, who kick-started this fundraising event for ALS TDI.  We even got to do the shaka sign, a tradition this news station has by showing local people doing the shaka at the end of the nightly news.

We're all so exhausted though.  Mommy and Daddy barely stayed awake for the 8:30 pm fireworks (it's a good thing they can see them from the lanai), and Mommy's not sure she can stay up for the news to end at 10:30 pm just to see if we make the ending credits.  It's a good thing we get an extra day to this weekend.  We all need an extra day just to relax and catch up on our sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, you are so lucky! What a great view and you don't need to drive anywhere. Since our neighborhood is unincorporated 'outsiders' bring in lots of fireworks that are not legalin the city. It is wild! More than one person refers to it as the war zone on the night of the 4th because so many folks are in the streets lighting off things that sparkle and make HUGE bangs. There certainly is a danger factor but it is exciting too.

    ReplyDelete