Saturday, July 10, 2010

ArtSpree & Surf Film Festival



ArtSpree was a lot of fun this year, even though it rained off and on. The first thing I went to was the hiking trails through the beautiful gardens at The Contemporary Museum. I love the different pathways that meander through the pretty flowers and plants. We saw aerialists, people art, played in clay, did some printmaking (where Mom helped me draw a skull), visited with Dad's artist friends (notice Ryan's funky mural that was near the cafe!), and I got my face painted like a skull. I called it "My Scary Face", and I keep telling Mom and Dad that I want to be a ghost this year for Halloween. They're not sure where I suddenly got this fascination for scary things, but don't I look scary?!

Coincidentally, the art exhibit in the gallery featured mummies. That WAS kinda scary.

We had a lot of fun, and Mom did not have any energy to go to the Korean festival afterwards.

But, I got to stay with Nana and Pop tonight, while Mom and Dad went to Vince's feature film being shown at the Surf Film Festival at the Honolulu Academy of Arts. Vince used to work with Dad at McCully Bike, and they used to go mountain biking together. So, a few other bike friends joined them to view "Out of Place", a documentary about Vince and others who go surfing in Lake Erie. Mom thought that surfing in Seattle was crazy, but Cleveland, Ohio?! It crazy to see them surfing with snow all around. The New York Times reported, "They surf in Cleveland because they must. They surf with two-inch icicles clinging to their wet suits. Through stinging hail and overpowering wind. They work nights to spend their winter days scouting surf. They are watermen on an inland sea." They all enjoyed catching up with Vince during the movie and over a late-night snack at Zippy's.

Chuck, Chris, Vince, & Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment