Sunday, September 27, 2009

What A Fun Weekend!

It was a long, but productive week, with our old, termite-eaten master bedroom wall torn out and our new 4 panel sliding door put in. Mommy showed it to me when I woke up on Wednesday morning. I immediately told her, "Come on!" and dragged her by the finger to show me how we could walk outside to the new lanai extension. Now, they have a wonderful breeze that comes in the room, they can tear down the baby gates they've had up for 2 years, and they can stand on the lanai and enjoy the beautiful city view! We have another new sliding glass door in the living room, with two double hungs. Stewart, our handyman, is still going to double wall/drywall. Then, 6 more windows to go and then we'll have to reassess to see how much money is left to do other improvements! Here are pictures of our lanai extension, which started last year, along with the most recent windows additions.




It was also a crazy week with the announcement that all public school teachers will be furloughed. The furlough Fridays start on October 23rd. Mom was not in the least bit happy about this. So disappointing for the school district and the kids she says. 17 days will be taken away, making only 3 five day weeks the rest of this school year (the rest will be 4 day weeks when you factor in all the holidays and other built in vacation/professional development days) and the furloughs will continue next year as well. It amounts to a nearly 8% paycut but most of all, it's such a disservice to the kids here in Hawai'i.

Mommy's friends Marissa and Nate also arrived for a little visit this week, while enroute to the Big Island. I had my 2nd overnight stay at Nana's and Pop's on Wednesday night so that Mommy and Daddy could eat heavy pupus with them at Uncle Bo's restaurant and loan Dad's Miata (yeah, the one that's been sitting parked on the street for the past 2 years.). They celebrated Marissa's birthday and even went to get ice cream at the local favorite, Bubbie's, for dessert.





We hung out with them and friends Kai and Jason and baby Coby at brunch on Saturday. Then, we took Marissa and Nate to the airport so they start their weeklong stay on the Big Island. We took their hotel parking pass and pool wrist bracelets so we could enjoy the pools at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. When we first got there, I was sleeping. I laid my head down on Mom's shoulder and asked her where we were going. She said to see the penguins. I perked up real fast, and asked, "Penguins!? Where are the penguins?!" So, of course we had to see the penguins first.
Then we visited 2 different pools. Let's just say, we had an awesome time! For the first time, I was enthusiastic about swimming with my head in the water, blowing bubbles, and feet kicking. I kept saying, "I want to swim! I want to swim!" I would jump off the side into the pool. It was so much fun. Then we had even more fun when we discovered the awesome kids pool. There were big water slides (which I couldn't go on, but Mommy and Daddy sure did have their share of fun! They said the best one was the dark tunnel one.) and I had fun swimming underwater and jumping from level to level. I didn't want to leave! We were there for about 5 hours! It was a great impromptu "daycation". We went to Ala Moana to get dinner at the food court because we were so exhausted from our day of fun! Mom even ran into a friend and one of her student's family there. I guess locals like to have "staycations" at the Hilton Hawaiian Village too. We'll definitely think about doing it sometime in the near future. But, we enjoyed it for free today!



Oh, and did I tell you that there were penguins, and turtles, and ducks, and birds?! Mommy and Daddy also enjoyed their waffle cones of Lamont's ice cream, but I was not in the least bit interested. I enjoyed scooping tasting spoons of water into my mouth instead.

Mommy finished her last Sunday of yoga posture clinics today. Her thighs are burning and her body is sore (didn't help that she didn't go at all during the week) from demonstrating postures -- locust pose and bow pulling pose. During the 3 two hour sessions, she learned the minute details to help make her postures more correct, and yet more challenging. Perhaps the thigh muscles will be stronger (and then I'll keep making her carry me up our 95 stairs).

We went to dinner at Big City Diner with just Nana tonight (Pop stayed home because he wasn't feeling well...that's the first time in years he hasn't come to dinner with us! But Nana brought home a burger and fries for him.) I was very hyper and decided that throwing food or slyly dropping it under the table was a good idea. So Daddy let me run outside a lot. It was such a busy weekend that I seem to be coming down with a cold. I went to swimming lessons this morning, but I seem to have a runny nose. We'll see if our week is a bit calmer this week.

The home improvement continues with more window installation and double walling this week. Dad had to try and fix the Miata today (but ended up just taking it to the mechanic's garage) since it died on the way home yesterday. Nate and Marissa must have driven all over the whole island the past few days! It's a good thing it didn't die on them then! We also added a new armoire (it used to be cousin Geoff's...Thanks Auntie Stevie and Uncle Gary!) to my room and Mommy did a thorough cleaning and rearranging of my closet. So the crib is finally disassembled and all of my baby clothes are boxed up. I'm a big kid now!

Did I mention that I'm 27 months old today?!

Pictures and videos (I've been jammin' to the Beastie Boys at dinner lately) to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment